Wednesday 11 August 2021

On selling iPhones 5,6,7….all the way to 12 (to people who do not need it)

The one thing that Apple can teach us (for better or, as I think, for worse) is to do the above: sell a product to someone who has an earlier version of it that is working perfectly fine. 



The formula (tried, tested, worked, repeated):

Price the new phone way more than required and do some ‘Bata-adjusting’ (please credit me when you use this phrase next

(Homo sapiens bias: Rs 79900 is way way lesser than Rs 80000!  At least, Apple did not charge that much, that would be overpriced by a mile). 


Tie-up with a bank to offer you a humungous cashback (which itself is the price of a not-so-cool smartphone)

(H-sapiens bias: 6k of cashback means that the folks at the bank want me to have this phone.  It is ordained in the Universe.  A larger force at work.  All for me.)

 

Then EMI the whole business to reduce it all to a couple of thousand a month

(H-s bias : it is the cost of just three biriyanis (which I shall never never give up, of course, but still, let me promise to try).  The iPhone 12 for 3 b’s a month, how cool is that?

 

Exchange value: 9k! 

(H-sapien: someone is paying me 9k for this piece of junk?)

A damp squib (i.e, me) interjects the thoughts:  "…er, but what about the 60k that you paid for this phone three years ago?"

(Homosapien: Only you can bring such logic in to ruin my day, but still, I must answer that question.  The 60k? That is a sunk cost.  It is history, sunk, incurred, gone.  And I have used my phone like, well, like I use my lungs.  So there.)

 

Exchange Bonus: the icing on the cake (dark choc and cream)

(H-s bias: can you believe this?!  All because I owned an iPhone earlier?  Wow, Apple loves me.  This is unreal!) 

ps: the small print says that you give in your 128 GB iPhone 7 and pay a fortune to get half of that storage capacity. But no one – not humans certainly – cares a fig leaf and its mother-in-law for small print.

 

Exchange effective price:

(Homosapien conclusion: now affordable at only 61900, whew!  I did feel guilty about this exchange but Apple saves the day. I promise to pay alimony if I ever buy another phone.)

So, go fly a kit, you damp behavioural squib.

I will trade-in and feel guilt-less.
And I will buy again.
No, not an Apple a day – even humans haven’t reached there yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

When Less is More

A lovely lovely piece on persuasion, with an excellent message.  The summary of it is: Bumper message: to convince someone (of something) bu...